8U | 9U Special Rules
South Carolina 8U Rules Clarifications [Machine Pitch, Coach Pitch and Hybrid] rev Jan 2020
1. The umpire shall call “Time” when, in his or her judgement, no runners are attempting to advance base and/or the ball is controlled on the infield by the defensive team. The intent of this clarification is to aid in stoppage of play when a typical baseball play, played at higher levels, would normally cease.
2. Game play shall continue until either of the following has occurred: A)6 innings have been played or the Home team is ahead after 5-½ innings; B)1 hour 15 minutes have been played from the official game start time and both teams have batted an even number of times or the visiting has completed their at bat the home team is ahead; or C)one team is mathematically eliminated (i.e. 15 runs after 4 innings or 8 runs after 5 innings) and both teams have batted an even number of times or the visiting has completed their at bat and the home team is ahead. Remember that no team can score more than seven (7) runs per inning.
3. Only two (2) coaches are permitted outside the dugout at any given time, with the exception of a coach pitcher when a coach pitch team is on offense. All defensive coaches must remain in the general area of their respective dugout during live ball play so as not to interfere with play. Offensive coaches must remain in their respective coaching boxes while coaching the bases.
4. Hybrid definition: one team elects to use a pitching machine while the other team elects to use a coach pitcher.
5. When playing Hybrid, the following rules regarding batted balls shall apply to both teams:
a. If a batted ball strikes the pitching machine, while either team is batting, the ball is immediately declared dead, the batter is awarded first base, and all runners shall advance one (1) base.
b. If a batted ball strikes a coach pitcher – 1)If, in the umpire’s judgement, the coach pitcher makes no attempt to avoid contact with the ball or deliberately makes contact with the ball, the ball is immediately declared dead, the batter is ruled out, and all runners are returned to their respective bases at the time of the pitch; or 2)if in the umpire’s judgement, the coach pitcher made sufficient attempt to avoid contact with the batted ball, the ball is immediately ruled dead, the batter is awarded first base, and all runners shall advance one (1) base. Any object taken onto the field by the coach pitcher shall, for the purpose of this rule, be judged to be a part of the pitcher’s body and umpire judgement will be applicably applied.
6. Regarding bunting:
a. Machine Pitch – bunting is permitted per USSSA Rules, maximum 2 times per inning.
b. Coach Pitch – NO bunting is permitted.
c. Hybrid – NO bunting is permitted by EITHER team.
7. The batter shall receive a maximum of six (6) pitches or three (3) swinging strikes unless the 6th pitch is hit foul. The batter may foul off the “last pitch” as many times as he can and will remain at bat until put out or struck out.
8. All present players must bat within a continuous batting order. Any player injured during the game may be skipped in the batting order without the team taking an out for the skipped batter, but that player may not return to the game if skipped. If a player is ejected from the game, the team must take an out in that player’s spot in the batting order for the remainder of the game.
9U/10U Special Rules